A little trick from my desk: You can rarely process a book in one session. The question is how to continue from where you stopped the next time you pick up the book. If you use a slip card as a bookmark, there is a neat solution for you: Just write a hint on the slip card.
Take a look at this example (annotated because most of you neither speak German nor can read my scribbles comfortably):
- At the end of the first session, I planned to continue with the structure notes on rationality, reason and intellect. (Rationalität, Vernunft, Verstand)
- At the end of the second session, I planned to build the structure note on emotionality (as opposed to rationality). I didn’t screen my Zettelkasten for already existing notes on this topic. The “qq2” is a reminder that I already created this structure note and attached it to a saved search.
- At the end of the third session, I planned to review the sources “Schäfer2002” and “Bechara1995” in the next session.
- At the end of the fourth session, I planned to review the source “Berridge2007” and continue to work on note “201811081615” which I marked with a “qqq”
The process is super easy:
- Use a slip card as the bookmark for the book you process.
- Write at the end of each session what you want to do the next session.
- Continue the next session as previously planned.