I am Sascha. I write and coach for a living. I worked on the Zettelkasten Method to build tools for my personal knowledge work. I began to teach some of my clients my method and discovered that they had great success with that. So I now work on this project with Christian to provide the world with the best solutions to knowledge work problems.
How I use my Zettelkasten
I use my Zettelkasten for all of my knowledge work:
- I use my Zettelkasten for research on biochemistry, nutrition, training, meditation – basically everything on health, fitness and robustness of body and mind. This is part of my job as a personal trainer.
- I use my Zettelkasten for background research and worldbuilding for my fiction writing.
- I use it to support my work on philosophy and ethics.
- I use it to analyse movies.
- I use it to organise my dog training.
- I use my Zettelkasten for writing fiction fragments that form whole the stories.
Tips for Beginners
- Read the introduction to the Zettelkasten Method.
- Don’t hesitate. Commit yourself to action and learn by doing. The Zettelkasten Method is 10% knowledge and 90% skill. Skills are developed through practice. A lot of practice.
- Start thinking about the Zettelkasten Method as a tool to accomplish a task. Learn it by using it for that task. Try to do research on a blogpost, or process a book you are exited about.
- Try to think on how to connect knowledge and not on connecting notes.
Live long and prosper!
PS: I offer 1-on-1-coaching if you want to learn the Zettelkasten Method from an experienced person.
Posts Written by Sascha
- Live Zettelkasten Session on Nov 12th (Episode 6) (November)
- Live Zettelkasten Session on Oct 22nd (Episode 5) (October)
- Live Zettelkasten Session on Oct 8th (Episode 4) (October)
- Field Report #3: Mini-Workflow of a YouTuber (September)
- Processing Empirical Studies and Separating the Three Layers of Evidence (September)
- Live Zettelkasten Session on Sep 10th (Episode 3) (September)
- Live Zettelkasten Session on Aug 27th (Episode 2) (August)
- Live Zettelkasten Session on Aug 13th (Episode 1) (August)
- RE: Backlinks Should Be Context-Rich (July)
- Measure What You Want to Achieve with Your Zettelkasten (April)
- Use Case: Investing with the Zettelkasten Method (March)
- How to Use Tabs in The Archive (November)
- First Teaser for the Second Edition of the Zettelkasten Method Book (November)
- Backlinking Is Not Very Useful – Often Even Harmful (November)
- Q&A #6 - Plural of ‘Zettel’ (November)
- Introduction to the Zettelkasten Method (October)
- Q&A #5 - How to write good titles for your Zettelkasten (October)
- Q&A #4 - Are Zettlers Cat People? Why? (October)
- Leave Breadcrumbs on Bookmarks for Your Future Self (October)
- Q&A #3 - Some tips on how to write good notes (October)
- Q&A #2 - How permanent a permanent note is (October)
- Q&A #1 - How to start a Zettelkasten (October)
- Don’t Dehorsify the Horse (September)
- Tying Blogging and the Zettelkasten Method Together for Fast Feedback (August)
- Baker and Me – Joe Pairman Uncovers Universal Principles (August)
- Understanding Hierarchy by Translating Folgezettel and Structure Zettel (April)
- Some Q&A on the Zettelkasten Method and Student Life (September)
- Three Layers of Evidence (May)
- The Difference Between Good and Bad Tags (September)
- The Barbell Method of Reading (May)
- A Tale of Complexity – Structural Layers in Note Taking (March)
- What are Buffer Notes? (January)
- Another Win for the Zettelkasten Method (January)
- The Next Edition of the Zettelkasten Method Book (November)
- Image Capturing with the Archive App (Video) (July)
- Practical Integration of the Zettelkasten Method: My Deep Work Days (July)
- The Next Edition of the Zettelkasten Method (June)
- The Money Is in the Hubs: Johannes Schmidt on Luhmann’s Zettelkasten (November)
- How to Not Get Lost in a Book (September)
- Nassim Taleb would love the Zettelkasten Method (June)
- Reading for the Zettelkasten Is Searching (March)
- Why Luhmann Had to Start a Second Zettelkasten (January)
- No, Luhmann was not about Folgezettel (October)
- 4 Use Cases to Determine What a Zettel Should Be (September)
- Second draft of the Zettelkasten Method Book ready! (July)
- My Morning Routine and Some Thoughts on a Holistic Approach (June)
- On Using Intratextual Tags (June)
- Announcing: the First Draft of the Zettelkasten Method Book in German (April)
- Use a Real Notebook (February)
- How to Write a Note That You Will Actually Understand (January)
- The Biography of Sascha’s Zettelkasten (December)
- The Two Forms of a Zettel (November)
- How to Write a Book – Without Even Trying (so hard) (November)
- A Life-Long Writing Project on Writing – and My Anxiety (October)
- Racing – A Time-Saving Technique for Your Information Inflow (October)
- Call Me Ishmael – Introducing Sascha (September)
- Count Your Words to Increase Your Productivity (February)